Frequently Asked Questions
Add a question to this FAQ.
- What are the main differences between AstroStack 2 and 3?
There are a lot of differences, a few of which are listed here:
- written in Java, so it runs on Windows, Mac and Linux/Unix
- full color processing
- expandable by means of plugins
- projects for different purposes can be saved for later use
- larger images can be processed (we tested upto 12M pixels)
- I have a problem saving my pictures
The short answer is: in a save plugin set a name and directory first, enable it and then perform your processing.
When you enable a save plugin it will save your result every time you set AstroStack to work: load a picture, align&stack, etc.
More on this subject here
- I get out-of-memory errors
AstroStack can use all the memory your computer can provide.
It does however only use 64Mb to 128 Mb by default. For large image processing you'll need more than that.
Procedures to change this on your system can be found here and here
- Navigating from one plugin to another can be a bit cumbersome.
When you need to enable/disable several plugins (e.g. Save) during your processing,
it can take a lot of switching and you may loose your overview.
For this reason we are improving the user interface. It will be released in the next major version. This will be a free update.
- Can I use the same username for the forum and registration?
Yes, but the two databases are not connected, so you have to go through a registration process twice.
Copyright 2001-2005 InnoStack